Sunday, June 17, 2012

around Sacre Coure

Thursday
10:30 AM, two metro rides, and a walk (uphill) in a very ethnic area of Paris deposits us at the base of 262 steps leading to Sacre Coeur. Before climbing the steps, we walk into the wonderland chocolate shop of Christophe Roussel and enjoy macarons, soft in the center and paper thin crunchy on the outside, which burst alive with flavor after each bite.

Yes, we walked the steps.
Yes, we stopped as we climbed--only to take pictures...

Martha's graffiti using lipstick-marking step #262

The sky is powder blue, with a few pillowly white clouds drifting just above the top peak of the highest dome on Sacre Coeur.  I gaze upon this sight with awe as I behold the beauty.....
Though the side streets are somewhat peaceful, the square is alive with artists, restaurants, and, like me, tourists.

Lunch at Chez la Mere Catherine, in memory of Martha's mother, Catherine--snails, goat cheese salad, avacado and shrimp salad, vegetable pie which is much like a quiche

You never know when the moment will come
You look up and there it stands
Eiffel!
My first view of Eiffel came after lunch, just as we were rounding a corner to begin our decent from the church.  I smile, for this is my second Welcome Back to Paris, Gale!

We find ourselves looking for particular Paris art/graffiti.  Soon the competition emerges as we each try to be the first to spot packman tiles or Fred le Chevalier's black and white paper work. We also find Marilyn Monroe.  Paris Is Art.....everywhere.

Parting to rest before dinner, I step into Meert.

A confectionery heaven.  Danny is very helpful, for I want to taste everything!  Their famous waffle, filled with a sweet buttery vanilla bean paste is worth every calorie. The marshmallows melt in my mouth. Meert is 30 steps out my front door....I'll be back I tell Danny...


No comments:

Post a Comment